The most appealing Characteristics of PlatinumWe all know the word platinum is recognised as the best and something rare. In music a platinum album is record setting and in money a platuinum credit card has the highest limit. So a platinum engagement ring or piece of jewellery has the same association.
The MetalPlatinum is a greyish/white precious metal considered to be the ‘King’ of metals. Platinum is the rarest and heaviest of the precious metals, making it a strong durable metal for use in jewellery. Unlike gold and other metals used to make fine jewellery platinum is 95% pure in its natural form, te other 5% is made up of Ruthenium.
Fun Facts About Platinum
- Platinum is a natural white metal that won’t tarnish in air
- The metal was discovered in 1735 by astronomers Antonio de Ulloa and Domn Jorge Juan y Santacilia
- Around 90% of platinum is mined in South Africa and Russia
- Although platinum is a little more expensive than white gold, it’s up keep isn’t as white gold has to be re-rhodium coated at least every two years.
- The famous Hope Diamond and The Jonker Diamond are both set in platinum
- If platinum is scratched, unlike gold no metal is lost
- Platinum has a density is 11% greater than gold and twice the density of silver measuring 21.45 g/cm3
- The name platinum derives from the Spanish word platina - meaning little silver