Location Location

CHESHIRE

150 Ashley Road, Hale,

Cheshire, WA15 9SA

0161 233 9977

MANCHESTER

3 Hardman Sq, Spinningfields,

Manchester, M3 3EB

0800 080 3535

LONDON

5 St Christopher’s Pl, Marylebone,

London, W1U 1NA

020 33 271 271

Book A Consultation
Pick A Location
Pick A Service
Pick A Date

Pick A Time

 

Confirm Details

 

Booking Enquiry Sent

We Will Be In Contact Soon!

Your booking Enquiry Information

Please Note: Your Booking is not confirmed until a member of our team sends you a confirmation email.
Please sign into

Your Steven Stone Account

Create your own

Steven Stone Account

Reset Password

Your Steven Stone Account

Cart (0)

The Blog

Home The BlogWhich is Better – Platinum or White Gold?

Which is Better – Platinum or White Gold?

< !--> Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE < !--> < !--> < !-->

Question – is platinum or white gold better?

  Although they look the same, white gold and platinum have their own properties which make them different and have pros and cons for creating engagement rings, wedding rings and other fine jewellery pieces. In this post we will  look at both metals and their advantages and disadvantages.      

Platinum 950

  Platinum 950 is a white metal and said to be the rarest metal that has unique properties perfect for use in fine jewellery.   Pros – One of the most appealing characteristics of platinum is its durability and hardness. If the metal is scratched due to everyday wear and tear it will not lose any metal. Unlike gold platinum is used approximately 95% in its purest form for jewellery, making it extremely long wearing.   Cons – Platinum is the most expensive precious metal, almost twice the price of 18ct white gold jewellery. If you like wearing light weight jewellery, platinum is very dense, so a platinum ring may feel heavier than an 18ct white gold ring. Due to its brittle nature a platinum ring may crack if it's knocked.  

White Gold

  Pros - White gold is an alloy of gold and other metals and depending on its carat weight comes in different purities. Gold comes in 9ct, 14ct and 18ct. An 18ct white gold uses 75% of gold  and the other 25% is made up of other alloys like sliver and nickel. White gold is extremely durable and soft making it perfect for creating intricate fine jewellery pieces. Gold is also a lot less expensive than platinum as it’s not as rare. The great thing about the metal is that it won’t rust, tarnish or corrode over time.  

Cons - Cons - As white gold is not a naturally white metal, it’s coated in rhodium to make it white. One disadvantage with rhodium coating is that it needs to be reapplied nearly every year to maintain its whiteness. White gold can also be prone to scratches, especially when worn on a daily basis.

            < !-->

Cons - As white gold is not a naturally white metal, it’s coated in rhodium to make it white. One disadvantage with rhodium coating is that it needs to be reapplied nearly every year to maintain its whiteness. White gold can also be prone to scratches, especially when worn on a daily basis.

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE < !-->
GO BACK TO BLOG